September 11, 2018
Raise the rate on Newstart
Are you a recipient of Newstart or the Youth Allowance? If so, you may want to read on. The Raise the Rate campaign is currently raising support to increase Newstart and the Youth Allowance by $75 per week.
The average Newstart recipient lives on just $39 per day and it is a struggle every day to afford even basic essentials.
Newstart has not increased in real terms in 24 years, but the cost of essentials has drastically increased. To voice your support, you can sign their joint statement to raise the rate here.
There are several other things you can do to show your support including:
- Print out the Raise the Rate logo and post it on social media saying you support Raise the Rate!;
- Write to your local Federal Member of Parliament and call on them to Raise the Rate;
- Write a letter to your local newspaper calling for the rate of Newstart, Youth Allowance and related payments to be raised;
- Lobby your local council to support an increase to Newstart;
- Share their page on Facebook or Twitter!
For more information visit www.acoss.org.au/raisetherate.