August 1, 2018
Everybody’s Home campaign meeting with Patrick Gorman
Our CEO Kathleen Gregory met with Labor candidate Patrick Gorman for Perth in June ahead of the by-election to talk to him about the Everybody’s Home campaign. The campaign is aimed at ensuring every Australian can rent or buy their own home and that no one ends up homeless due to shortages in secure, social and affordable housing.
As part of the campaign, there are five simple things the government can do to fix Australia’s housing system so that it works for everyone:
- Reset the tax system around housing to make it fairer for ordinary Australians wanting to buy a home.
- 500,000 new social and affordable rental homes to meet the demand for affordable housing.
- Get rid of “no grounds”evictions and unfair rent rises so that millions of renters have the security they need to create homes, build lives and raise families.
- Increase Commonwealth Rent Assistance for the thousands of Australians who are struggling to pay the rent.
- Create a plan to end homelessness by 2030 that will halve homelessness in five yeas – and end it in 10.
You can add your name to their petition at www.everybodyshome.com.au if you would like to join the call on our leaders to change the housing system for the better.