November 27, 2018
Coping with Christmas
Christmas is a special time of the year, but for many people it can be extremely stressful.
There are a lot of expectations around spending money or celebrating with family that are really difficult to meet, for lots of reasons. If you find Christmas a hard time of year for these or other reasons, know that you are not alone in feeling that way and consider getting support.
Here are some suggestions for getting through the ‘festive season’.
- Get out and go to a free community Christmas event such as the City of Perth’s Christmas Light Trail. Also look for local events like carol singing and church services; there’s a lot on offer that is free and welcoming.
- Suggest your family have a Secret Santa so you only have to buy one present.
- Reach out to someone you know is also alone and see if you can do something together.
- However, remember many services are busy or closed at Christmas time so do plan ahead if you think you may need some support.
- Hang in there, it’s not called the silly season for nothing. Christmas is really just one day in the year!
This website lists a lot of Christmas events in Perth, many of which are free.